Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Signs of Aging

Gone are the days of my youth, spent recapping drunken shenanigans and dishing about dating [disasters].  Gone are the days of my youth, where 90% of my meals were cooked in either a hot pot or a George Foreman grill.
Gone are the days of my youth, when SPF 10 seemed like a reasonable compromise.
Gone are the days of my youth, when I could wear high heels for more than an hour at a time. 

You know you're getting old when you willingly put on these babies:

But there are benefits to growing older.  I've participated fascinating discussions on lawn care and home maintenance.  I've experienced firsthand the thrill of going to bed before 10 pm.  I've read insightful comparisons between Neutrogena and Olay when it comes to wrinkle prevention (thaaaaanks, Glamour!). 

And I've also found that I'm more adventurous in trying new recipes.  This one really had me skeptical.  Fruit is fruit, and should be eaten plain.  Old thinking.  Fruit + beans?  New thinking.

Poblano, Mango, & Black Bean Quesadillas
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil 
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced yellow onion 
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper 
  • 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup jarred sliced peeled mango (such as Del Monte SunFresh)
  • 1/3 cup cubed peeled avocado 
  • 4 (8-inch) whole grain flour tortillas
  • Cooking spray 
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  1. Preheat broiler.
  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, oregano, salt, pepper, and poblano, and sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add beans; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in mango and avocado.
  3. Place flour tortillas on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Arrange about 3/4 cup bean mixture on half of each tortilla, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese over bean mixture, and fold tortilla in half. Lightly coat tortillas with cooking spray. Broil 3 minutes or until cheddar cheese melts.

Serve with a nice blob of salsa and plain nonfat Greek yogurt (you're not still buying sour cream, are you?). 

Per 1 quesadilla: 335 calories, 54 g carbs, 9 g fat, 13 g protein, 7 g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment