Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Don't tell PETA...

This past weekend was my 8th annual trip to the Hamel Rodeo.  I can't say that I'm all that interested in watching steer wrestling and tie-down roping, but I really enjoy wearing my cowboy boots.
It was a perfect summer night to spend outdoors, and true to form, I saw something that I had to buy:
Plus it was my good friend's birthday celebration.  Really, what could make the night any better?

Monkeys.

That's what. 

Monkeys riding dogs.
Borderline animal cruelty going on here.  They were strapped in to their little saddles.  The whole purpose of this act (sort of an intermission-type thing) was to herd a bunch of rams into a pen.  Once the dogs had done this, the ringleader unstrapped a monkey, kissed it, gave a sort of offensively patriotic speech ("It's time we take this country back!"), and ended his act by pronouncing "THIS IS MONKEY LOVE, Y'ALL!"

Ohhhkay.

Now that you totally think I'm a redneck who engages in redneck entertainment with redneck boots, here's a classy recipe.  Why is it classy, you ask?  It has Dijon mustard in it.  Duh.

Wild Rice Turkey Burgers
-1 lb lean ground turkey
-1 can pre-cooked wild rice, drained and rinsed
-1 egg
-1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
-1 sprig fresh dill, chopped
-1/2 cup panko or whole wheat breadcrumbs
-1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
-6 slices Provolone cheese
-Pinch of salt and pepper

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  It's easiest to use your hands, but then again, I'm a redneck, so if you choose to use a spoon, that's quite alright.  Form into 6 patties, between 1/2-1 inch thick.


I tried to grill these, but they didn't stick together very well on the grates, so I'd suggest pan frying these- 5 minutes on medium-high, flip, cook for another 5 minutes, or until internal temp is 160 degrees.  Place a slice of Provolone cheese and serve on a whole wheat bun.

Per burger: 210 calories (not including bun), 10 g carbs, 7 g fat, 19 g protein.

THIS IS BURGER LOVE, Y'ALL!

Sorry.  Done with the redneck stuff.  'Til next year at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment