Monday, July 30, 2012

I'd be remiss to not blog about the Olympics.

It both inspires and shames.

With the latter, I'm talking 'bout how I sat indoors, on a beautiful sunny Sunday, eating cookie-dough topped brownies, watching the events.

At least I painted my nails red with blue and silver glitter for the occasion.





I am not qualified in the least to judge someone's swimming form, or their tumbling skills, but I do feel right in judging the outfits.  Those purply gymnastics outfits?  Way cute.

I am also qualified to judge recipes.  Lately I've grown tired of buying boxes upon boxes of protein bars.  They are expensive, and they usually don't even taste that good.  I figured why not try to make my own?

No-Bake PB Chocolate Chip Protein Bars
Dry:
1.5 c oats
1/2 c shredded coconut
1/2 c raisins (or date chunks, cranberries, craisins, dried cherries/mangoes/apricots/etc. Any dried fruit will work
1/2 c chocolate chips 

1/4 c almonds, chopped
2 scoops vanilla whey protein powder

  

2 Tbsp flax seeds
2 Tbsp chia seeds

Wet: 
1 ripe banana (mashed)


1/2 c maple syrup (or agave)
1/2 c peanut butter (or any nut butter, i.e. almond, pecan, cashew, etc.)


1 Tsp vanilla extract 

Stir dry ingredients together first.  Combine all wet ingredients, mixing until smooth.  Stir in wet ingredients with the dry. 
Line an 8x8 pan with wax paper or plastic wrap.  Press mixture into the pan and freeze for 30 minutes.  Cut into 9 squares and wrap well.  Refrigerate.
Per bar: 270 calories, 35 g carbs, 10 g fat, 10 g protein, 3 g fiber
Gold-medal quality!





(Come on- you had to have seen that one coming)

No comments:

Post a Comment