Monday, July 28, 2014

Appropriate methods of cooking for a 95 degree day

I've never been one to mind the heat. I mean, if it's less than 70 degrees out, chances are I'm wearing a sweatshirt and socks. And not just any socks, but my Heat Holders!
They are super cool, obviously.

But when it turned legit hot last week, even I had to succumb to the central A/C.

Bad time to learn that said central A/C was busted.

How hot was it? So hot that my eggs were sweating.



On the menu was Mexican hash, so in spite of the crazy heat, I stood over the stove and cooked it up. Worth it. Even if I made like those eggs in the process.

Mexican Hash makes 8 servings
-1 package spicy turkey sausage, casings removed
-4 Tablespoons olive oil
-2 bell peppers, sliced thinly
-1 big yellow onion, sliced thinly
-1 package frozen shredded potatoes
-2 cups fresh spinach
-8 eggs
-1 cup cilantro, chopped
-Salt and pepper to taste

1. Saute sausage until fully cooked. Set aside. In the same large pan you just used, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and saute peppers and onions until browned and softened. Add to the cooked sausage.
2. Pour frozen potatoes into that same large pan plus remaining oil. Cook until browned (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile in a smaller pan, cook up each egg. I chose to fry mine since it just looks prettier on the finished meal. You could definitely skip the egg altogether though, depending on your preference. Also, when I fry an egg, I just add a weensy bit of oil to my nonstick pan and gently swirl around until the whites are solid.
4. Once potatoes are cooked, stir in sausage and veggie mix. Stir in spinach until wilted. Add salt and pepper if you'd like.
5. Dish out into 6 bowls or plates. Top with an egg and a few pinches of cilantro.

Gorgeous.








 Just make sure your air conditioning works first.


Per serving: 462 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment