Sunday, July 20, 2014

Reunioning/If you like pina coladas

We just wrapped up the annual family reunion on my husband's side. Like any good family reunion, there was plenty of floating, bean bagging, jet skiing, paddleboarding, and eating.

Too bad this is the only picture I took the entire weekend:


Totally switching gears, because I am slacking in the post area, here's a recipe I'm going to just put out there. I think you can handle it. A few months ago I had read a recipe for coconut whipped cream which pretty much just involved coconut milk. Umm I can do that, said me. And you can do it too, says me. That lent itself to "what goes well with coconut?" Pineapple. And rum. And cake. 

Yep. Not very dietitiany, nor is it very everyday. 

Someone else should be posting this kind of stuff, yes?

Too bad, says me.

Pina Colada Parfaits (makes 8 parfaits)
-1 box angel food cake mix (or already prepared cake)
-1 medium can crushed pineapple
-1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix + milk
-1/2 teaspoon rum extract
-1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
-2 cans regular (not light) coconut milk

Ok. So you're going to need 5 seconds of prep work the day before in that you have to put the canned coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Chill those for at least 12 hours (so that the fatty coconut milk solidifies). Put your mixing bowl and beaters in the fridge as well. You could also bake the angel food cake the day prior. And you can make the pudding too. Have I lost you yet? Read on. I'll start making sense.

For the coconut whipped cream:
-Open the chilled cans and drain off the liquid coconut water. Place the solid hunk of coconut cream into your chilled bowl and beat on high speed until it starts to fluff up. It's not going to be as fluffy as regular whipping cream. 
Put back in the fridge. 

To make your pudding, just follow the instructions on the package and stir in the rum extract. Put that in the fridge until set. 

In the meantime you can start toasting your coconut flakes. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Constantly stir the flakes until they start turning ever so slightly golden brown. Immediately remove from heat and let cool.

Drain the pineapple juice from the can- we want the pineapple pieces, not the juice.

Tear the cake into inch-ish chunks. 

Now we can assemble. 

Are you still with me? 

I chose to make a few of these in individual glasses. Start with a few bits of cake on the bottom, followed by a blob of rum pudding, blob of pineapple, blob of coconut cream, and a few toasted flakes, then repeat for a second layer. 

Beautiful. 

These actually taste better when they've been sitting in the fridge for a few hours, so feel free to make this whole thing a day in advance. 

Are you still with me?

All these steps are totally worth it, says future you. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment