Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Comforts

Have you noticed yet that ABC Family's "25 Days of Christmas" started like the day after Thanksgiving?

I'm not complaining though.  I swear I will never grow tired of Buddy the Elf, Rudolph & Yukon Cornelius, the Whos in Whoville, Melissa Joan Hart in "Holiday in Handcuffs" and...

Kevin McCallister.  This is my house- I have to defend it!

Don't think my little 8-year old self didn't pay full attention to his anti Wet Bandit strategies.
The Micro-Machines-on-the-floor.  Classic.
The more inventive hot-iron-on-the-doorknob.
And my favorite: the sticky-tar-on-the-stairs.

Actually I lie.  My favorite is the glue-on-the-face-then-a-fan-blows-feathers-all-over.  I just don't have a picture of that scene. 

To me, "Home Alone" is the Christmas equivalent of chicken noodle soup.  Or mac & cheese.  Or spaghetti.

Spaghetti with upgrades
-1 large jar marinara sauce
-1 pound lean ground turkey
-2 large tomatoes, diced
-4 fresh basil leaves, torn up into smallish pieces
-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 package frozen chopped spinach (thawed)
-2/3 box whole wheat spaghetti noodles

1. Saute turkey until no longer pink.  Turn down heat to medium-low.  Add marinara sauce, tomatoes, garlic powder, basil, and spinash.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add noodles and boil until tender.  Drain.  Serve immediately.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if you want.

Makes six servings.  Per serving: 206 calories, 35 g carbs, 3 g fat, 12 g protein, 6 g fiber

Oh yeah- keep the leftovers, ya filthy animal!

No comments:

Post a Comment