Thursday, December 13, 2012

Easy Mediterranean

One of the best meals we ate in NYC was at a Mediterranean restaurant.  Hummus was their specialty.  If you're  like me, you're thinking "mushy beans?  I could take it or leave it."  But their hummus was awesome- chunky with chickpeas and filled with garlic and spices.  I ordered that along with a chopped salad. 

Wanting to sort of re-create that meal at home, I came up with this:

Mediterranean Pitas
-4 whole wheat pita pockets (2 whole pitas)
-1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
-1 container pre-made hummus of your choice
-1 large cucumber, finely diced
-2 medium tomatoes, finely diced (I removed most of the mushy guts & seeds)
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1/2 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
-1/2 tablespoon olive oil

In a medium bowl, combine garbanzos with hummus.  In another medium  bowl, combine chopped cucumber, tomatoes, seasonings, citrus juice, and olive oil.  Stir to coat.

Fill a pita with a spoonful of hummus dip and add veggies.  Serve immediately.  Simple!  Easy!  Delicious!
Per pita: 400 calories, 52 g carbs, 17 g fat (heart-healthy fats), 16 g protein, 17 g fiber (!)

Now my husband wants me to re-create the big greasy pepperoni and sausage pizza we ate on our last night.  Better that than the pig stomach I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment