Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Diggin the hash

You've likely noticed that many of my recipes are variations of each other. I know I'm not the only who does that. It's easy to get bored of certain dishes, so why not mix it up?

Last night I was in the mood for my go-to hash browns with black beans and roasted veggies, only I had a bag of sweet potatoes instead. Game on.

Sweet Potato Hash
-6 medium to large sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and grated (this is your cardio for the day, btw)
-1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
-3 tbsps olive oil
-1 bag baby sweet peppers, seeded and cut into strips/quarters
-1 large onion, diced into small-ish pieces
-1 1/2 cups fresh corn (can sub frozen)- this was 2 large ears for me
-Salt and pepper to taste
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
-Fresh cilantro
-Plain nonfat Greek yogurt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine peppers, onions, and 1 tbsp olive oil on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for a total of 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, get a large pan heated up over medium-high heat. Add shredded potatoes. Stir every few minutes.


Once peppers and onions are starting to get browned, add corn, beans, and a few pinches each of salt and pepper, and chili powder if desired. Stir well and return to oven for 5-10 minutes.


After being in the pan for 10-15 minutes, the sweet potatoes should be heated up. They're not going to get totally crispy like regular potatoes because we're not using nearly the amount of oil/butter used for traditional hash browns. It's ok though- the crunchiness of the corn will compensate.

Put a scoop of potatoes in a dish, top with corn/bean mixture. Add yogurt and a few cilantro pieces if desired.



This is SO filling and satisfying- I love a sweet-spicy combo like this.

What I DON'T love is looking over to find my 3 year old giving himself a yogurt facial and leg-cial.


Makes six servings. Per serving: 425 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment