Monday, July 10, 2017

Semi-Homemade

Do you guys know of Sandra Lee? In tabloid world she’s the girlfriend of Andrew Cuomo, governor of New York. In TV world she’s on Food Network as a chef/cook. Her schtick is “semi homemade” which I totally dig. I’m always down for from-scratch cooking, unless I don’t have time. Or ingredients. Or patience.

I recently created a SUPER easy semi-homemade hotdish that I have to share. It’s a great way to take a box side dish and create a whole meal.

Scalloped Potatoes with Ham and Veggies

-3 boxes scalloped potatoes

-1 ½ cups skim or 1% milk

-4 tablespoons butter

-1 teaspoon ground black pepper

-1/2 teaspoon onion powder

-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

-1 cup diced ham

-2 cups chopped vegetables of your choice (can be fresh or frozen). I swung by my workplace cafeteria salad bar and grabbed broccoli, shredded carrots, and peas. Add whatever sounds good to you! Next time I make this I want to try chopped spinach.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat milk and butter and seasonings together until
almost boiling. While milk heats up, coat a 9x13 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Layer dehydrated potatoes in the dish. Pour the packets of cheese powder over the potatoes (yep, we’re going there). Pour hot milk over potatoes. Stir in ham and veggies.

Bake for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and mixture is bubbling.






Makes six generous servings. Per serving: 440 calories, 60 g carbs, 9 g fat, 26 g protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment