Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Hints of what's to come

I have a confession to make.

It started last week when I ran to the craft store for some spray paint. There is was- in the middle of the main aisle...




HARVEST STUFF.

Then yesterday morning I checked my junk Gmail account- you know, the address you give stores when you want coupons- and there it was- an email from Bath and Body Works advertising...



PUMPKIN SCENTED CANDLES.

And then last night when I was scrounging through our beastly zucchini patch and I caught a glimpse of a behemoth zucc that should have been picked probably a week and a half ago...I decided to make...

ZUCCHINI BREAD.

Ugh, I'm *this close* to looking forward to fall.

Have I ever shared my zucchini bread recipe? This has become a go-to for me because a good deal of the time I'm 'neglectful with timely picking, and I always have a ton. I like to make mini loaves and freeze them for months to come. We like to have them with breakfast in the fall/winter along with a side of eggs. Truth be told you could easily swap in some overripe bananas for the zucchini if that's what you have on hand.

Zucchini Oatmeal Bread
-1 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1/4 cup vegetable oil
-1/2 cup white sugar
-2 eggs
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1 cup all purpose flour (yes, putzy, but I prefer the texture of a blend rather than just all whole wheat flour)
-1 cup dry oats (does not matter what variety- I used quick oats)
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-3 cups shredded zucchini, with excess moisture removed (just give a good squeeze with a paper towel)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray either 1 9x5 loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Combine applesauce through eggs in a bowl. Stir in vanilla.

In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients, except for zucchini. Slowly incorporate dry mixture into wet. Lastly stir in zucchini. Pour into pan(s). My mini loaves took about 30 minutes. To check if they're done, insert a sharp knife into the center. If it comes out clean, you're good. Let cool for five minutes before inverting onto a rack to cool.



Per mini loaf: 300 calories (I get about 8 slices out of a mini loaf and we all get two).

No comments:

Post a Comment