Thursday, April 30, 2015

The garden menu

Most years I'm a few weeks, or months, late to planning my garden. Tomatoes in October just aren't a good thing. In an effort to be more on top of things, I bought starter plants today.

Ok so actually I did not even intend to buy plants but hey you know how a trip to Home Depot can quickly spiral out of control. 

Lightbulbs? Check. 

Toilet bowl cleaner? Check. 

Strawberries? Okay!

They had a sale- all Bonnie veggies/herbs/berries were $2. In the past I've done most everything from seeds, but that is a big reason why my garden gets so behind. I chose cilantro, sweet basil, purple basil (did not even know that was a thing but how cool), cherry tomatoes, and lemon tomatoes (again, that is a thing as well). I grabbed 3 things of strawberries, and I'll admit I'm totally clueless. Will that yield like 10 berries total? Or like 50? Time will tell.

Our back landscaping looked pretty scraggly last year (oh do you not remember me whining about that?) so I decided I'll tear out a section of spindly bushes and plant a future berry patch. Growing up our neighbors had a berry patch with golden raspberries and we'd always sneak over to eat them. Note to self- also build a fence to keep neighborhood kids away from MAH BERRIEZ.



So that's the plan- berries, tomatoes, herbs. I will continue the tradition of growing monstrous zucchini, and maybe some green beans and carrots as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment