Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Remember that one time...two months ago...?

Remember that one time when I was all like “Oh I’m going to do a series about church cookbook classics” and then I only posted one recipe?

Yup.

Except I did actually make a bunch of revamped recipes. I just never blogged about them.

Sorry to have been keeping you in suspense for six weeks. I’m sure your nails are bitten down to the core in anticipation of me continuing this series.

No?

Have you ever seen sweet potato tots? These are totally a thing, and they are awesome. Now let’s clear up a myth right away- sweet potatoes are NOT infinity times healthier for you than regular potatoes. They are not lower in calories or lower in carbs. They do have more vitamin A, so that’s cool and all, but really I go for sweet potatoes when I want a different taste. I can’t let my Yukon Golds or my Baby Reds get their li’l spud feelings hurt.

Sweet potato tots got me thinking- how can I revamp traditional tator tot hotdish? You need your base- ground meat, plus a canned soup, plus a veggie, topped with tots. I came up with this spicy & sweet dish that’s definitely different, but also super tasty.

Sweet Potato Tator Tot Hotdish

-1 bag sweet potato tots
-1 pound ground pork
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-2 Poblano peppers
-1 cup frozen corn
-1 can Campbell’s Poblano Queso soup

Preheat oven to broil on high. Wash off your poblanos. Place them on a cookie sheet and put them right underneath the broiler for a few minutes. The skin will get bubbled and super browned. Take them out and flip them around so that all sides end up getting bubbled up and browned. Place them in a paper bag, roll up the top, and let them “steam” as they cool. Reduce oven heat to 400 degrees.


In a large pan, saute ground pork and onions. Cook until pork is no longer pink. Soak up liquid fat with paper towels and turn heat to low. Add soup and corn and cover.


Meanwhile, once poblanos have cooled, the charred skin should peel off fairly easily. Remove tops and inner seeds/core. Dice up poblanos and stir into soup/pork mixture.

Spread in an 8x8 glass or Pyrex baking dish and top with frozen tots. Sprinkle tops of tots with chili powder. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes, or until tots are slightly browned and crisped.




Bam. A little spicy. A little sweet. Funky, yet still comforting hotdish.



Makes six servings. Per serving: 357 calories, 34 g carbs, 17 g fat, 16 g protein, 630 mg sodium (about a third of your daily recommended amount)

No comments:

Post a Comment