Thursday, May 14, 2015

How absorbent is your child's toy?

You guys.

I found the definitive best toy ever for a one year old.

It is multi-colored.

It makes a crinkly noise.

It comes in a box so your little one can have at least 10 minutes of joy dumping it out.

And best of all?

It’s only $5.99.




Are you horrified? I hope not. This box has been a mainstay of our living room play rug for a solid week. To Mac, these never get old.

Also, I can’t wait ‘til he’s 16 and too cool for everything and I can use this as blackmail. YOU USED TO PLAY WITH LADY HYGIENE HARPOONS!

Um, in other news, it has been a gray and cold and rainy past few days. When it’s gloomy, I get lazy. Truth. Yesterday I whipped up a new version of chili. Now usually I add a can of pumpkin to my chili. It thickens it up perfectly, and honestly it doesn’t even have a taste to it. I didn’t have any pumpkin on hand, so I stuck with the pure basics, and it turned out magical. Didn’t even miss my pumpkin. I now crown this the definitive best chili ever for a 31-year old. And others too.

Best Basic Chili
-1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
-1 large yellow onion, chopped
-2 cans mild chili beans
-1 can pinto beans
-2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
-1 can tomato paste
-1 cup water
-1/2 teaspoon garlic
-1/8 teaspoon Chipotle or Ancho chili powder (let’s be real- you could use just basic chili powder too, but I felt the need to be a teeny bit fancy)
-1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Saute your ground meat in a large pan until fully cooked. Soak up any liquid fat with a paper towel. Place in the bottom of a large crock pot. Add your onion, both cans of chili beans (do not drain), can of pinto beans (DO drain and rinse this one), cans of diced tomatoes (do not drain), tomato paste, water, and your seasonings. Give it all a few stirs so it’s evenly mixed. Set it to cook on low for 5-6 hours.

This is nice thick chili with just the right amount of kick. My husband didn’t even add hot sauce to it, so that makes me proud. Add just a wee shake of the chili powder if spice isn’t your thing.

Super comforting and filling for a cold day.

(I got so excited about this chili that I forgot to take a picture. Oops)

Makes eight LIGHT servings, six REGULAR, or four SUPER servings. Per regular serving: 274 calories, 33 grams carbs, 6 grams fat, 22 grams protein, 2 grams fiber. This counts as two servings of veggies too. Lean protein, fiber, veggies- love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment