Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A cure for the common cold

I have received a flu shot every year for as long as I can remember.  Since I work at a clinic, I get it for free (take that Walgreens!).  Minor problem- this year, we didn't order it.  All we have is last year's expired flu vaccine.  Now, two things could happen here:
1. I could get said old expired vaccine, and my immune system picks up on the weak virus and becomes stronger than ever!  I would be Super 'mune Girl!

-or-

2. The weak virus does absolutely nothing for my immune system, and I get a horrible strain of whatever flu bug is floating around this season. 

Given that my last post was all about the merits of doing nothing...I've now found myself with a bit of a cold.  I'll be sure to go post on facebook my sick-self status, because everyone loves reading those Debbie Downer issues. 

Fortunately I still maintain my sense of snark. 

This is a recipe that I totally winged, so I claim it be semi-authentic.  It's a spicy dish with a bit of peanut flavor- sure to clear up the sinuses.

Chicken Pad Thai
  • 1/2 box whole wheat linguini
  • 1 bag shredded carrots
  • 1 bag cole slaw (pre-shredded cabbage)
  • 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup garlic chili paste (found in the Asian section)
  • 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut up into 1" chunks
  • 1 bag bean sprouts (the thicker kind)
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky- I like chunky best)
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
1. Bring large stockpot of water to boil.  Add linguini.  Boil over medium-high heat until cooked.
2. Meanwhile heat olive oil in large frying pan.  Add chicken and cook until nicely browned.  Add garlic- saute one minute, then set aside in a bowl for later.
3. Add sesame oil to the same pan.  Saute cabbage, carrots and green onions.  Add rice vinegar.  When getting tender (but not mushy), add chicken. 
4. To make sauce, combine garlic-chili sauce, broth, and peanut butter in a small bowl.  Whisk together until smooth.
5. Combine noodles, veggies, and sauce in the large stockpot.  Stir in bean sprouts.  Optional: add chopped fresh cilantro and serve with a lime wedge.



Makes six servings.  Per serving: 450 calories, 55 g carbs, 15 g fat, 30 g protein, 11 g fiber.

Never fear! Super 'mune Girl will be back in no time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment