Friday, February 10, 2012

Daydreaming

I am pretty good at spinning things towards the positive.

I only spent 20 minutes at the gym today.  I was super-efficient with my workout today!

I ate three-day-old leftovers for lunch.  Meal-packing this morning was a snap!

I buy a Powerball ticket every week.  I make consistent charitable contributions to the state's natural resource fund!

See how awesome I sound? 

Let's add one more:

I made a super-creamy cheesy baked mac & cheese.  I baked comfort food that's still low-cal.

Baked pasta with squash & parsnips
Adapted from "Cooking Light" November 2002

-1 Tbsp olive oil
-1 cup chopped onion 
-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper 
-2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 2 tsp jar garlic)
-1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
-1 cup peeled & sliced parsnips 
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage 
-1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried parsley 
-1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 
-1/4 teaspoon ground allspice 
-1/2 teaspoon salt, divided 
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
-1 box Ronzoni "Smart taste" penne pasta 
-1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
-Cooking spray 
-1 1/2 tablespoons butter 
-3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
-2 cups skim/1% milk 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic.  Saute 3-5 minutes.  Add squash and parsnip; saute 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.  Stir in sage, parsley, nutmeg, allspice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; remove from heat.

Cook pasta in a large stockpot.  Drain and return to pot.  Stir in squash mixture and 1/4 cup cheese.  Coat a 13x9 glass baking dish with nonstick spray and spread pasta/squash in it.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add flour; cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly.  Add 1 cup of milk; cook 5 minutes, whisking constantly.  Gradually add remaining cup of milk, whisking constantly.  Cook until thickened.  Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.  I added a pinch of garlic powder as well.

Pour milk mixture over pasta mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.  Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Serves six.  Per serving: 415 calories, 63 g carbs, 14 g fat, 10 g fiber, 25 g protein.

Now excuse me while I go search the couch cushions for more Powerball charity money.

No comments:

Post a Comment