Tuesday, January 24, 2012

My pal TJ

Meet my good pal.  He provided me with inspiration for this week's lunches.  He's better known as Trader Joe, or TJ.  Yes, yes, his stores are a bit trendy and sometimes give you Hawaiian-print-shirt-overload, but you can find some great stuff.  Continuing with my goal of eating more vegetarian dishes, this week's lunch was Indian, courtesy of ol' TJ.  Here's what you need:

-1 package whole wheat Tandoori naan
-2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
-1 to 2 cups vegetable broth
-4-5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (I had russets on hand)
-1 jar TJ's masala simmer sauce
-1 package frozen cut leaf spinach
-1 small bag frozen peas
-2 T curry powder
-2 tsp hot sauce
-3 cups uncooked brown instant rice (*optional)






1. Bring a large stockpot to boil, add potatoes.  Boil until tender.
2. Meanwhile, in another large pan, combine masala sauce with chickpeas.  Simmer on low.  Add drained cooked potatoes.  Cover and let simmer.
3. For naan dipping sauce, microwave spinach and peas in a large dish until thoroughly heated.  Drain any liquid.  Working in batches, add about 2 cups mixed spinach/peas to a blender with 1/4 cup vegetable broth.  Blend until smooth.  Dump into a smaller saucepan and re-heat.  This took me about 4 batches until I had done all the spinach and peas.  Add more or less broth as you see fit.  You want this to be a thick "sauce" kind of consistency.
4. Add curry powder and hot sauce to spinach/pea sauce, or other spice to taste.
5. While both sauces simmer, you could choose to make some instant brown rice, and spoon chickpea/potato mixture over rice.  Serve naan with spinach sauce.

If I were to name these two recipes, I'd call the potato/chickpea combo "Chole bhature aloo" (literally meaning chickpeas and potato), and the spinach/pea sauce "Palak matar."  I'll go ahead and assume these are correct, because Wikipedia never steers anybody wrong, right?

Forgive me for the Google-supplied pictures.  Guess next time I photograph a meal I should make sure the memory card is loaded in the camera.  Part of the meal will look something like this.  


I am *such* a professional with this whole blogging thing.

Makes about 8 servings (1 cup potato/chickpea sauce, 3/4 cup spinach sauce, 1/2 naan).  Per serving: 438 calories, 80 g carbs, 6 g fat, 17 g protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment