Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A food trip down memory lane

A friend hosted "game night" this past weekend.  We played the game of "Celebrity" where everyone writes down 5 celebs, and they all get pooled together for the teams to guess.  My entries read like the cover of an "Us Weekly," with Jennifer Aniston being one submission. 

The hostess's younger sister, who's 20, ended up drawing her from the bucket, and to my horror, she had no idea who Rachel Green from "Friends" is.  Gaaaaaah.  I'm old. 

This got me thinking back to my younger years and the foods I remember growing up with.  Now, I know my mother reads this, so disclaimer here- yes, despite the foods listed below, I did get a healthy amount of fruits and vegetables and skim milk.  Now for the list:

1. Chicken by George

 I remember getting to decide, along with my brothers, if we wanted "Lemon pepper," "Teriyaki," or "Mesquite BBQ" flavors.  Until this very day, I had no idea who "George" was.

2. Great White Shark fruit snacks


It's weird and unnatural for a fruit snack to be white as paper.  But these were awesome.  The best packs had a high shark-to-fish ratio, as in Oh man, I only got one great white in my pack!

3. Fruit Stripe Gum

Yipes!  Stripes!  Fruit stripe gum!  Loses it's flavor and then it's no fun!

4. Hidden Treasures cereal
10% of these little nuggets were filled with a strawberry-ish cross between jelly and a fruit-roll up.  The rest of the plain nuggets were...disappointing.  But as a kid, anticipation is part of the fun.

5. Kid Cuisine
Yesssss.  Many a Saturday night consisted of "SNICK" and a Kid Cuisine, and I couldn't have been happier.  My favorite ones had the brownie in the middle section. 

Of course now my food choices are much more mature.  Nevermind that I just dug a stray Lucky Charm from the crack of my couch cushion.  That gives me an idea- I think I need to go write a letter to Lean Cuisine and suggest "PMS Cuisine: Chicken broccoli alfredo and BROWNIE."  You know you'd buy at least one per month...

No comments:

Post a Comment