Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Drug of choice

I looooove me some carbs.  Fresh-baked bread is the best.  I don't have a bread machine, and I'm not sure I want one, because wouldn't that be like giving a crack-head a new pipe?

I've shared this recipe before, but I made it again the other night with some modifications.  You may want to go invest money in "Bob's Red Mill" company stock.

Whole Wheat Beer Bread
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white all purpose flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 cup oat bran
2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 12-oz bottle of beer (I used Miller Light)
1/3 cup honey

1. Combine all dry ingredients.  Stir in beer and honey until a sticky dough forms.
2. Spray nonstick baking spray into a loaf pan.  Form dough into the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

I sprinkled some oats on top for fun.  I'm wild like that.

This bread keeps for 2-3 days, so not long, but really you'll end up wanting to eat it all right away.  Refrigerate any leftovers.

Makes 12 slices.  Per slice, 144 calories, 1 g fat, 30 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.

Lunch today will be a sandwich with sliced rotisserie chicken and garlic herb Laughing Cow cheese spread, and of course this bread.  Mmm...carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment