Friday, December 23, 2011

When "healthy" becomes subjective...

How do you define a "healthy" food?  Something low in calories?  Low in fat?  High in nutrients?

We all have our own ideas of what foods we should choose, vs. foods to avoid.  Here's something I come across a lot as a dietitian:
What is "healthier"- sugar free yogurt, nonfat yogurt, Activia, Greek yogurt?
I know plenty of people that strictly go with calories.  No matter how many fake-y, chemical-y ingredients there are, hey, if it's only 50 calories per serving, I'm eatin' it.

Okay yes, I'm guilty of that from time to time.  But calories don't necessarily equal nutrients.  My own policy as a dietitian is that we should
  • Eat a variety of foods
  • Eat foods that are minimally processed (homemade is always best)
  • Eat lean where it counts
  • Eat fatty where it counts
          You've probably been asked the question "if you were stranded on a desert island and could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?"  Well, if I were on Wunfud Island, it'd definitely be cereal, because there's a good variety within the category.  Kashi for breakfast, Special K for lunch, bran flakes for dinner, and repeat.  But then I'd get scurvy due to the lack of vitamin C.  I'd get kwashiorkor due to lack of protein.  I'd get anemia due to lack of iron.  Our bodies truly need a mix of fuel: healthy carbs, lean proteins, and healthy fats.  We get these by choosing fruits, veggies, whole grains, meats, seafood, eggs, milk, legumes, nuts, and beans. As corny as it is, I do like the government's new MyPlate as a point of reference (though the glass of dairy is not necessary). 
         
          Now I don't eat organic. I think it's nice to eat organic, but at this point, it's not something that I feel I should be spending money on. Someday when I have kids, I will probably choose organic milk and meat, because studies show those are the two products that tend to have the most chemicals in them.  Organic does not necessarily mean "healthy" though, as organic products can have just as much sugar, salt, and saturated fats as their regular counterparts.  What I do think is worthwhile is limiting the amount of preservatives in our food.  Take a can of beef stew- it doesn't expire for a whole year.  Convenient for food shelves, but kind of creepy to think of food being so processed and preserved that it lasts that long.  The shorter the ingredient list, the fewer chemicals/preservatives/salt/crud-in-general goes into your body.

          Eating lean implies that fats are bad.  Yes and no.  Our bodies need a certain amount of fats.  Fats provide energy, help with cellular function, aid in making hormones, insulate us, and help cushion our internal organs.  But not all fats are equal- avoid saturated fats (found in butter, fatty meats, and dairy products).  Really avoid trans fats, found in processed foods and margarine.  Instead choose unsaturated fats- "omega-3 fatty acids" fall under this category.  Get your good fats by eating fish, walnuts, avocado, olive oil, and flaxseed. 

       I always say this to my patients:
If you're going to consume calories, be sure that you get something out of them in return: either fiber, protein, healthy fats, vitamins and/or minerals.

No comments:

Post a Comment