Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Bananas for...bananas.

Fact: For the past 8 years, I've eaten a banana most every single morning.  If I take a crack at that math, that means I've eaten 2912 bananas, and spent $429.52 doing so.  I bet my potassium is juuuuuust fine. A note to Chiquita: I'm still waiting for my plaque. 

Sometimes I get a little overzealous with the banana-buying and they get a bit too ripe for my taste.  To me, if there are spots, it's over.  It's either destined for muffins, or for the trash.  Here's a recipe for jumbo banana muffins- and these certainly won't  end up in the trash.

Bananas Muffins
-1 cup all purpose flour
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 cup butter
-1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
-2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
-2 eggs, beaten
-2 1/3 cup mashed over-ripe banana (I used 4 small bananas)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar.  Stir in applesauce, eggs, and mashed banana until well blended.
3. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten (over-stirring will make the muffins tough).  Spoon batter into muffin cups to about 3/4th of the way full. I sprinkled a few oats on top for the pretty factor.  
4. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let cool for a few minutes, then invert onto a paper towel.  I like to eat mine warm with a bit of Brummel & Brown butter spread. 
Per muffin: 360 calories, 48 g carbs, 10 g fat, 7.5 g protein

These babies are filling, so they're more of a breakfast meal rather than a snack.

As a point of reference, the "banana nut loaf" at Starbucks is a slightly smaller serving, but contains 490 calories, 75 g carbs and 19 g fat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment