Monday, December 5, 2011

On my way to rob a bank

It snowed about 3 inches Saturday night.  So beautiful!  I knew I had to wake up early on Sunday for a jog just to admire the fresh white snow cover (and to listen to the a few of the 118 Christmas songs on my iPod).

It got me thinking that I should share the tools/clothing/accessories that I use to do winter jogging.  It's not for everyone, but that or even just walking in the outdoors is something you should try.

First up on my list:
-Petzl Tikka 2 headlamp
Nerdy?  Yes.  All of this stuff is nerdy.  But there's so little daylight, and running at night is dangerous if you can't see where you're going.  Plus others need to be able to see you as well.  This is actually pretty comfortable to wear and it stays put while I'm running.  You can adjust it to light up your path up to like 40 feet in front of you.  It's also convenient for if you happen upon a mine. 


Nike Pro Hyperwarm leggings.  Go ahead and squeeze into these babies.  They'll keep you warm and allow you to freely run without the bulk of sweatpants.  No shame in putting on a pair of shorts over these to cover your booty.

Yak Trax are amazing.  It's like the equivalent of winter tires for your feet.  You just loop them onto your sneakers and they give you great traction on snow/ice for running or even just walking.  I was skeptical when I first got them, but they allow you to run/walk with confidence on all surfaces.  

SERIUS Neofleece Combo Clava at Sports Authority.  Now you understand the title of this post.  This is a horrifying thing to put on your head.  But it works.  You will keep your face warm, but still be able to easily breath.  The windchills in Minnesota can be awful, and this blocks the cold.  

So there you have it- my list of winter running essentials.  I'm not a super serious runner.  I just think it's a great feeling to be outdoors enjoying the scenery and getting your muscles moving.  Plus you can't eat things like peanut butter balls without compensating. 





No comments:

Post a Comment