Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Like wienerschnitzel, but better.

While cruising AllRecipes.com (my fave) last week, I came across a recipe for baked pork chops.  I realize that this is not an uncommon food for most people, but I've never had them before, so I was curious.  Rainbow happened to have pork on sale this week, so the porcine stars were aligned.  The recipe itself was very easy, but of course it wouldn't be my cooking if I didn't somehow tweak it:
-white flour was swapped for whole wheat flour, and
-whole wheat breadcrumbs were subbed for Italian (just add a little Italian seasoning)
-fat free cream of mushroom soup
I had baked a spaghetti squash in the morning and we had that along with a steamer bag of peas & carrots.
My husband loved it.  While in the Army, he lived in Germany for a few years and griped that wienerschnitzel (a similar pork recipe) was so bland, but that this had good flavor.
Nutrition Info: 325 calories (230 from pork chop), 24 grams carbs, 16 grams fat, 18 grams protein.

What to do with the leftover bottle of three-buck Chuck?  Only the finest of pinots for the Syverson household.
Nevermind the near-empty glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment