Monday, October 10, 2011

The "good" buffet?

I crave sushi more often than the average person, so fortunately there's a Japanese restaurant close to my work.  They happen to have a sushi buffet for $12.  Now, I am strongly anti-buffet because, really, I hate the mentality of "I-must-leave-here-uncomfortably-full-and-bloated-to-prove-to-myself-that-I-ate-my-money's-worth."  But for real- six pieces of sushi for $8, or for just four more bucks I can be adventurous and try some new types of sushi.  My husband has the day off today, so he picked me up and off we went.

The selection was great- probably 8 different kinds of sushi and 2 different types of sashimi.  There were no labels, so I have no idea what I actually ate (probably a good thing), but it was all tasty.  I ended up having 8 pieces along with 2 pieces of sashimi. 

Here's the approximate calorie breakdown of various types of sushi (8 pieces in 1 roll):
Bluefin tuna sashimi (4 oz)- 122 calories, 26 grams protein
Tuna roll- 184 calories, 24 grams protein
California roll- 255 calories, 9 grams protein
Philly roll- 360 calories, 16 grams protein (16 grams fat too)
Shrimp tempura roll- 508 calories, 20 grams protein (21 grams fat)

The buffet also had tempura vegetables- 350 calories for just 5 pieces of vegetable there.  Yiiiikes.  Take-home message: tempura = battered & deep fried.  If you're feeling adventurous, try making your own sushi at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment