Monday, October 17, 2011

Busy in the kitchen

Another beautiful fall weekend in Minnesota.  I can legitimately say that I did help my husband with the yardwork.  We only have one rake, so I did the next best thing- mow over the leaves and shred 'em!  I was also feeling culinary creativity yesterday.

Seeing that we still have about 5 pounds of apples, I decided to make an apple cake for breakfast.  When I announced that, my husband said "will it have frosting?"  As much as I love frosting, I cannot bring myself to serve it at breakfast-time.  Here's the recipe I created:

Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Cake:
Ingredients
4 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour + 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional- I went without)
2 teaspoons each cinnamon + sugar mixed in a small bowl
Directions:

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl.  In a larger bowl, beat eggs and sugar for 2 minutes.  Stir in applesauce and vanilla.  Gradually stir in dry ingredients.  Fold in apples and walnuts.  Pour in an 8" round pan.  Sprinkle cinnamon/sugar mixture on top and bake for approximately 35 minutes at 350 degrees.  

Nutrition (makes 10 slices): 227 calories, 4 g protein, 3 g fiber.

Ta-da!  Delicious breakfast.  Now onto lunch.  On Sundays, our m.o. is to make a big batch of something, and then have the leftovers for lunch for the first half of the week.  I decided on white chili and whole wheat beer bread.  Easy comfort food.   





I think I might need a better quality camera- none of these pictures make the food look very good!



No comments:

Post a Comment