Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Phocus on physical phitness

From the time I was about 15 years old I’ve had various gym memberships. I’ve been fairly faithful with going too. Even in college- that elliptical machine was my jam. A leisurely hour at the gym was the norm.

Now days it’s a different story. I may have 20 minutes either at the gym or at home to cram in my strength training and cardio. Fortunately technology helps me out here as there are some super helpful FREE workout apps and videos.

Here are some of my go-to’s for workouts:

-MapMyRun app/MapMyRun.com. GPS trackers (is that what they’re even called?) like Garmins are super popular amongst runners, so I feel pretty low tech with using this app, but hey it works. My husband and I use it- and the corresponding website- to map out our potential runs so we can determine distance. When you’re out on your run, the app keeps track of that distance and your time. According to my husband’s MapMyRun, our half marathon the other weekend ended up being 13.5 miles. Eek. Should’ve taken those corners a little tighter, huh? This app doesn’t have to be for running- use it for walking too when you want to track your distance!



-Nike Training Club app. This is the mother load of workout options. Top level athletes create workouts of various intensity and duration and the app shows you visually how to do each exercise. Last week I tried to do a 5 minute just-using-your-own-body-for-resistance workout and I literally only made it 2 minutes in. It. Kicked. My. Butt. Burpees! Why are they so easy when you’re 8 years old, and the worst thing ever when you’re an adult?






-YouTube! I feel like a bit of a chump because I used to buy brand new exercise DVDs (and uhh I might have a few dusty VHS tapes laying around). If you do a search on YouTube, there are MILLIONS of workouts- from beginning yoga to 10 minute core to full body workouts. You can find free Jillian Michaels videos and my fave- Jackie Warner.



What are some of YOUR favorite apps and sources for keeping physical activity feeling fresh and challenging?

No comments:

Post a Comment