Thursday, May 11, 2017

A day in my life


.

A lot of times when I’m working with patients I’ll get asked “So what do you do?”

People get curious about how a dietitian aims to balance a healthy lifestyle with, well, real life.

Here’s a typical day in pictures.

Wake up at 5:15 for morning training run. My husband and I are doing a half marathon this weekend and we’ve been training for 12 weeks now. Woof. Nothing like paying a $75 entrance fee to get you motivated to stick with something.



Home by 6 to shower, get ready, and sneak in lunch packing and some dinner prep. My go-to breakfast is a fistful of whole grain cereal and a spoonful of natural peanut (ie no sugar added) peanut butter. Mid morning I’ll have my whey protein shake. I’m currently using BiPro unflavored along with Great Lake gelatin.



Get the kids in the car and we’re on our way to daycare then work.

Morning clinic starts at 8:30. I usually settle in and check emails and drink my tea.




Lunch break is an hour, which is fantastic- enough time to sneak in a quick strength training session at the gym we have on campus. I usually don’t bother changing my clothes unless I wore a skirt. The older I get, the less I care what other people might think!



Most of the time I'll have dinner leftovers for my lunch. If I didn't budget for an extra portion, then I'll hit the hospital cafeteria (I am VERY spoiled to have this as an option) for salad bar. After a quick chow-down, it's time for afternoon clinic. I counsel up to 12 patients per day. 




I pick up the boys and I’m home by 5:30



Tonight’s dinner is one of my faves- zoodles with roasted veggies and avocado-cilantro cream sauce, which I neglected to take a picture. Check out the old post though. 

After dinner we will go play outside. By that I mean the boys will play, and I’ll try to sneak in some yard work.




Bed by 8pm, then my husband and I crash not long after that!


Sleep annnnnnnnnnd repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment