Monday, May 9, 2016

Zip-a-dee-zoodles

Yay for me for going out and doing something fun and social on a Friday night! It was the first time since Freddie's arrival that I'd done something with friends, so I was overdue. We went to a free event at Aveda- massages, mini hairstyles, mini makeovers, etc. FREE. Yes please. Even wore new heels for the occasion.





Life is all about balance, right? So me making smores pie meant that we needed a meal of zoodles. You probably want to kick me in the face for using the word "zoodles"- but zoodle-dee-doo, whatever. I use my Vegetti but I know there are other types of spiralizers- use whatever you'd like. 

i'll admit that I had low expectations- I mean, I'd much rather shovel in nice hot carby pasta, but this meal rocked. So many flavored going on and you can eat a huuuuuge plate without mondo calories.

Zoodles with Roasted Veggies and Avocado Cream

3 zucchini, spiralized
1 bag baby sweet peppers, sliced (2 cups)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow sweet onion, diced
3 ears fresh corn, cut (2 cups)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine peppers and 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a sheet pan and roast for 10 minutes. Roasting can be done at higher temps but I like longer roasting at lower temps (like 350) because it makes the veggies sweeter before they char. After 10 minutes, add onions. Roast 10 more minutes, add corn. Roast 10 more min, add beans and tomatoes. Roast- you got it, dude- about 10 more minutes. Note that you could sauté this up in a pan of you are more crunched for time.

Add zoodles to roasted veggies and stir to combine. I put the pan in the still-hot oven for a few minutes. You don't want to cook the zoodles but rather just heat them up.

Avocado cream
2 ripe avocados, peeled
1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
Juice of 2 limes
1/3 cup loosely packed cilantro
1 tablespoon honey

Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Top zoodles and veggies with nice blob of cream.





Makes four heaping servings of zoodles and avocado cream. Per serving: 320 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment