Thursday, June 1, 2017

Helloooooo long weekend

Actually, goodbye long weekend. It went by too quickly. Here’s our weekend in pictures, and of course, food.

Friday’s weather was beautiful and sunny and warm and since we have a Dairy Queen within walking distance, we decided to kick off summer with some ice cream. Truly we only walk to the DQ 2 or 3 times a year, so it’s definitely a treat for the boys rather than a normal occurrence. That, plus we had brown rice and tofu for supper, so I’m pretty sure that’s how “moderation” works.

Freddie got a few tastes of my husband’s cone.



All Mac wanted was a vanilla cone. Can’t relate!



Saturday was spent out at the cabin where there was lots of hot tub action, some rock collecting, some fishing, and boating. Chicken burgers from Costco are so good!









Sunday lunch was a picnic in the boys’ Little Tikes “cabin” in our backyard, followed by taco fiesta at my friend's house.







For Monday’s supper we decided to try something we’ve never attempted before- fried chicken! Oh gosh, so this is pretty much the opposite of what we normally eat of course, but all my Pioneer Woman-watching at the gym got the best of me. Buttermilk fried chicken, grilled corn on the cob, fresh green beans, and twice baked potatoes.



Do you ever make twice baked potatoes? It’s one of those things that I never get excited about but I really like. Here’s a simple recipe that keeps the calories to a minimum. Hint- these freeze well too.

Easy Twice Baked Potatoes
Russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed- I used 6 (to get 10 servings)
Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges (I used a whole package, which contains 8 wedges)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Shredded cheese (I used Gruyere- about ½ cup total)

Preheat oven to 350. You could definitely microwave these puppies, but I think the oven is ultimately easier even though it takes longer. Poke 2 sets of holes in each potato using the tines of a fork. Bake for 90 minutes. Remove from oven and cut in half lengthwise. Let cool to the point where you can handle them with bare hands. Using a spoon, scrape out the majority of the white insides and place in a medium bowl. Add Laughing Cow wedges and pepper and beat using an electric mixer. If mixture seems too thick or dry add a tablespoon or 2 of milk. Spoon mixture back into potato skins. Because I heaped in my mixture, I had two leftover halves that I discarded. Top each half with about a tablespoon of shredded cheese and at this point either wrap in plastic wrap to freeze or return to the oven for 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.

Per potato half: 175 calories. Restaurant versions can have upwards of 400 calories for their twice baked potatoes. I can’t act like I saved myself all those calories though given that fried chicken.




Oh, and cherry almond crisp with vanilla ice cream.

Back to reality this week, and maybe additional brown rice and tofu.

No comments:

Post a Comment