Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Side dishes & squirrels

Last weekend we all came down with the stomach flu.

*Shudder*

I'll spare you the details. I'll just say that we were puking and then other stuff too.


Yesterday morning we were back in our groove with going to daycare and work. Here's a weird story though- I pulled up to our daycare provider's house and started getting the boys out of the car. All of the sudden not five feet away from me a squirrel drops down from a tree. I saw a flash of white belly fur and outstretched arms. Crash. Oh no! (Right?) I thought maybe the squirrel had a back injury as a result. But this crazy squirrel started flopping around wildly. Like towards us, away from us, flop flop flop.

Pretty sure he looked like this:


Actually no, this is more accurate:


I don't know if it was crazy because of rabies or what, but that dang squirrel had all of us stuck in our tracks not sure which way to run.

So.....yeah. Watch out for a psychotic squirrel in Saint Paul.

Last night I roasted some broccoli. (How's that for a non-existent transition?)

Do you like broccoli? Many of my patients do not. It can actually be a genetic thing- some people have genes that make them more susceptible to taste a bitter flavor with broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables.

I like to roast my broccoli. Roasting at a moderate temperature helps break down the slightly bitter component you may otherwise taste. Though broccoli has very little carbohydrate, heat also helps break down the carbohydrate into its sugar components, helping with the flavor.

Simple Roasted Broccoli
-Fresh broccoli (I used three small heads), chopped roughly, bulk of the stems removed
-Olive oil (I used 2 tablespoons)
-Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, combine all ingredients. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, removing to stir about halfway. Broccoli will get nice and browned in some spots.




Per cup: 40 calories


No comments:

Post a Comment