Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Secrets

Can I tell you something?

I'm not really a breakfast person. 

I'm very "eh" on breakfast, and I'm very "MEH" on brunch.

In my daily life there is a very small window during which egg bakes, pancakes, or Belgian waffles are appropriate.  If it's 9 a.m. and I've already brushed my teeth, no drop of maple syrup shall pass my lips. 

Of course I always do eat breakfast, but it's usually my standard bowl of Kashi or bran flakes and a spoonful of crunchy Skippy.  However upon reading a blog that is much cuter and better than mine, I decided to hijack one of their recipes- and it's worth sharing.

Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes -makes 6 pancakes
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cup + 2 Tbsp skim milk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons poppy seeds

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a smaller dish, combine sugar and lemon zest.  Rub it between your fingers for a minute or two to help bring out the lemon oils.  Stir in to flour mixture.

In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, milk, lemon juice, vanilla, eggs, vanilla, and poppy seeds.  Add to flour mixture and stir until just combined.  Try not to over-stir because it will make the pancakes tougher.

Heat a griddle to 350 degrees.  Spoon batter onto the griddle and flip when the tops show tiny bubbles and the edges are slightly cooked.

I made a sauce using frozen mixed berries I had on hand.
Good thing I hadn't yet brushed my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment