Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Six o'clock already, I was just in the middle of a dream

There's something about having a Monday off that inspires me.  It's sort of like I view it as a challenge.  How much stuff can I cram into a twenty-four hour period?

You can't just be lazy on a Monday free from work.  No, if you did it right, that's what your Saturday and Sunday were for.  The Bangles made it sound like "manic" was a bad thing, but here's what I did:

-Car wash, baby.  Close up enough that you can see it shine, but not so close up that you can see the scratches on the bumper. 
-Hour long bike ride
-Two hour boat ride with friends
-Re-upholstered the dining room chairs in a new floral print
-Painted three canvases to hang in our living room

Heavy on the crafts, I know.  The store was having a military appreciation sale where if you brought in military ID you got an extra 20% off.  I'm sure that the five years my husband spent in the Army were totally worth it knowing he saved his wife $11.73 on fabric.

 I invented a new dinner too.  I use the term "invention" loosely.  Having exhausted myself doing the above, I created "chili nachos."  Yeah, just go with it. 

Chili Nachos
-1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
-1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
-1 small can fiesta corn (corn with added chiles/peppers)
-2 cans petite diced tomatoes with green chiles (such as Ro-Tel)
-1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
-1 large yellow onion, diced
-corn tortilla chips (I used Trader Joe's flaxseed chips)
-nonfat plain Greek yogurt
-shredded Cheddar
-chopped lettuce
-salsa

1. Saute onion and beef/turkey in a Dutch oven or large pot.  When fully cooked, add beans, corn, and tomatoes.  Season with pepper.  I added a pinch of chipotle seasoning as well.  Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
2. That's essentially it.  You could certainly stop here.  But I had some chips and toppings to get rid of, so here's what I did:
Pile of chips. 
Pile of chili.
Sprinkle of cheese.
Blob of yogurt. 
Pile o' lettuce. 

There you go. 

It's just another Manic Monday.  My "cook and crafts and clean day."  That's my fun day. 

Whoooah-oh! 


No comments:

Post a Comment