Monday, May 21, 2012

Go-to greats

I'm not usually one to "mix it up."  I like routines.  I like lists.  I like things to be just to be like they were last time.  And the time before that.  And the time before that. 

I freaked out as a kid when my mom wanted the Christmas tree to be in the family room instead of the living room.  Nooooo!

I ask for the same flavor of birthday cake every year.  Oatmeal cake with coconut frosting!

I bring the same dish to potlucks, time and again.  Cream-cheese filled veggie bars!

And behold, people seem to like it.

Veggie Bars
-1 8-oz block Neufchatel cheese (reduced fat cream cheese), softened to room temperature
-1/2 cup olive oil reduced fat mayo
-1 Tablespoon chopped dill
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1 cup chopped carrots
-1 cup chopped broccoli
-1 cup chopped cauliflower
-1 tube crescent rolls
-1 cup shredded cheddar

1. Roll out the crescents on a cookie sheet.  Flatten with a rolling pin.  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees, or until nicely browned.
2. With an electric mixer, blend mayo and cream cheese with dill and onion powder.
3. Spread cream cheese mixture on cooled crust.  Top with veggies and cheese.
4. Using a pizza slicer, cut into 24 squares. 
Easy, fairly healthy, and delicious.  Invite me to a potluck and you'll know what to expect.  Just don't ever expect me to move my Christmas tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment