Thursday, May 3, 2012

Nice things are nice

I am guilty of irrationally trying to preserve nice things.

My aunts gave me a really nice (expensive) designer lavender candle as a shower gift. 

I've used it once.  Most often I light up my $1 "Divino Baby Jesus" candle. 

I have a beautiful pair of patent leather Coach flats.  But most days I choose to wear my PVC Target flats.

You know to preserve these things.

But what's the point of having something nice if you're too afraid to use it?  Case in point: the programmable slow cooker we were given as a wedding gift that's sat in our basement since September.  Ohh, I'll just use our cheapie one- I don't want to get the new one all used.  Enough of that thinking.  Here's a recipe for easy easy easy slow cooker Buffalo chicken sandwiches. 

Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
-1/2 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo marinade/sauce
-1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (with fat bits trimmed)
-2 cups pre-shredded cole slaw mix
-2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
-1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
-2 Tbsp olive oil mayo
-Light wheat hamburger buns (I used Village Hearth brand)

1. Combine chicken and buffalo sauce in a slow cooker.  Set for 6 1/2 hours on low. 
2. With an electric mixer, combine mayo, blue cheese, and yogurt.  Blend until smooth.  Stir in cole slaw.
3. When chicken is done, shred with a fork.  Serve on a bun along with blue cheese topping. 

Makes six servings.  Per serving: 260 calories, 9 g carbs, 14 g fat, 25 g protein



I think I might enjoy these in front of my lit lavender candle while wearing my patent flats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment