Sunday, November 20, 2011

Winter's Return

Well it's about TIME that the radio station started playing Christmas music.  How else can it be guaranteed that come actual Christmas day I'm good 'n' sick of Chestnuuuuuuts roasting on an open fiiiiire

With shorter days and longer nights I plan on using my slow cooker to my full advantage.  I had success a few weeks ago with baked pork chops and came across a similar recipe only they're cooked in a crock pot.  Perfect.  In the 60 seconds after I walk through my door at the end of the workday I can chuck the junk mail in the trash recycle bin, kick off my shoes, and plop some hot food on my plate. 

Slow Cooker Pork Chops
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil (vegetable, canola) 

  • 4 pork chops (I had 5 in my package)

  • 1 egg, beaten

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)

  • 1 large onion, sliced (go for 2!)

  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans lowfat condensed cream of mushroom soup

  • 2 cups skim milk


  • 1. Trim the fat off your chops.  Heat the oil in a skillet. 
    2. First dunk the chop in the egg, coating both sides.  Then transfer to a shallow bowl containing the flour.  Once coated, place in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides.
    3. Repeat with all your chops.
    4. Dump the soup and milk in your slow cooker and stir until the lumps have dissolved.  Place the browned chops in the mix and top with the onion. 
    5. Cook on low heat for 8 hours. 
    Okay- this may look like onion-topped barf, but it is delicious.  My Christmas gift to myself might have to be some photography lessons. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment