Monday, November 14, 2011

Breakfast of Champions

No, it is not "Little Chocolate Donuts" despite what John Belushi may have proclaimed (points if you know that reference).  I've read recipe variations of this breakfast for awhile and it tends to be my Saturday morning go-to.  It's easy, cheap, and super healthy.  No donuts involved.
Step One:
Pour 1/3 cup instant oats in a bowl.
Step Two:
Add 1 Tablespoon of wheat or oat bran.  Ew, why?  Because it's tasteless and adds fiber.  Don't even get me started on why we should all be eating more fiber on the regular (ha, like that pun?).
Step Three:
I like to take a small handful of bran flakes and crush them up.  Adds a bit of different texture.  It's totally optional though (but seriously you should do it).
Step Five:
Add about 1/2 a tablespoon of ground flaxseed. Ew, but why?  If you're not a big seafood eater, ground flaxseed is a great way to get your omega-3 fatty acids.  Someday I'll post about why we love these in case you don't yet know why you should be loving your omega-3's.
Step Six:
I'll wrap it up here- we're at the point where you can really add whatever the heck you want.  Some ideas:  Chopped walnuts.  Raisins.  Dates.  Cranberries.  Chopped apple.  Banana.  Pumpkin.  Cucumber.  Kidding.  I like to add 2 tsp brown sugar to sweeten it up a bit.
Laaaaast step:
Add milk.  I like my almond milk, but really whatever will work.  Cook it and eat it hot.  Don't cook it and eat it cold (this is how I like it- I've heard that this is similar to European "muesli").  I make big batches of this stuff, dry, and keep it in the refrigerator (gotta refrigerate the flaxseed).  But either way you eat it, you're giving yourself a great source of fiber, whole grains, and heart-healthy fat.  Be a self-proclaimed champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment