Friday, July 5, 2019

Strawberry fields forever...

...eh, or until we're all too hot and tired and sticky to pick any more.

We drove out to a local strawberry farm Tuesday morning with our friends. Guess what? 15-month olds don't understand you pick-you pay- you eat, in that order.










$18 later, we have a huge stash of berries!



So...what should I make?

I've been on a salad kick lately, which is definitely not like me (I'm MUCH more into cooked veggies than raw). Have you ever tried the whole fruit-in-a-salad-thing? Probably, because you're a better human than I am. I'll admit that I have truly never done it. Not a mandarin. Not a blueberry. NOFRUITINMYSALAD. Until today.

I tried it...and liked it...who am I becoming?! The key is the homemade dressing. Creamy, tangy, and a tiny bit sweet. And nutrient-packed of course!

Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing- makes about 1 cup of dressing
-1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, stems removed
-1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/2 teaspoon poppyseeds
-1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
-1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high for 15-30 seconds, or until smooth. Pour into a resealable jar. Dressing keeps for one week in the fridge- just shake before serving.



I made a quick spinach salad and added some frozen pre-cooked grilled chicken strips, sliced strawberries, and a healthy pinch of slivered almonds for some crunch. Such an easy and flavorful and healthy salad!

Give this one a try, even if you're like me and *think* you don't like fruit in your salads.

Nutrition information for one 2-tablespoon serving: 17 calories, 3 grams carbohydrates, 0 grams fat, 1 gram protein, 3 mg sodium, 2 grams added sugar

No comments:

Post a Comment