Tuesday, July 2, 2019

For four balls full of energy...

Four kids in four years is a total trip.







There are SO many times where I've looked at them all playing...or fighting...and thought "well, *that* sure happened quickly."

We've been doing so much playing outside lately that the kids work up such an appetite for snacks. When I was working with patients in the clinic setting, healthy snack ideas was always a request.

I've seen variations of "energy balls" all over the internet, and truthfully the name alone has always made me roll my eyes. Like, ALL food gives you energy. There is nothing special about rolling up ingredients into a ball. Except it makes for an easy snack. And if you use high nutrient ingredients you get a healthy boost. Plus it'll take you less than five minutes to make. M-m-m-maybe I can get on board with energy balls.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 scoop protein powder (I used unflavored but vanilla or chocolate would also work)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter + 1 tablespoon (Smuckers will always be my fave)
1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (neither is a health food, but you need a little sweet and sticky to hold it together)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add peanut butter, honey, and agave. Stir to combine. Using your hands, form into 12 1-inch balls. Refrigerate or freeze.

Per energy ball: 128 calories, 16 grams carbohydrates (including 4 grams fiber), 6 grams fat, 5 grams protein, 9 grams added sugars.


Not pictured: the half dozen that *my* energy balls ate!


No comments:

Post a Comment