Monday, September 10, 2018

Big Yellow Taxi

Every day while the three youngest take their afternoon naps, I get one-on-one time with my 4 year old. Usually this consists of me pushing him on the swing until my wrists hurt, but today went in a different direction.

"Hey Mom, can we play taxi outside?"

Yes, yes we can.


He was so thrilled with his taxi that he asked for more signs.


"I'm like a TAXI DINOSAUR!"

He requested even more taxi signs but I (white) lied and said we were out of yellow paper.

I suppose if I were any kind of Gen-Yer parent I would've insisted we play Uber instead.

In other DIY fun, I did something today that I can't believe I'd never done before. Part of this whole being-on-a-budget/spending-wisely thing is I've cut out my Mrs. Meyers addiction. LOVE their dish soaps, but I can't justify spending $4 a bottle given how quickly we go through it. Buuuuuuut a thought occurred to me- could I make my own?

Scented Dish Soap
-1 bottle Seventh Generation unscented dish soap (I used 25 oz)
~15 drops essential oil of your choice (I used grapefruit)

I poured the dish soap in a large bowl, which was stupid. I should've just poured it into my four cup Pyrex but apparently I don't do math anymore (4 cups = 32 oz = plenty big for a 25 oz bottle, haha). Pour it back into the original bottle and there ya go!






Some essential oils are expensive, but most are around $5-6. A one ounce bottle yields ~500 drops (at least according to Google...again...the math...). The Seventh Generation at my grocery store was $2.60. It truly is cheaper to be making my own. Some other oils I'd like to try sometime would be orange oil + clove oil, pine oil, lemon oil + lime oil, and rosemary oil.

A thrifty but fun day here all-around!





No comments:

Post a Comment