Monday, September 24, 2018

The Annual Schlep

I'll admit to being a total stereotypical girl who loves errrrrything fall. The decor, the sweaters, the scented candles, the pumpkin! YOU KNOW IT!

Go ahead and spit out that wee bit of barf that just came up...

...'cause here comes more cliche!

This past Saturday we took the four kids to the farm/orchard/pumpkin patch. I love this place (Knapton's, for Minnesotans) because it's so small-time. No hordes of people, no overcrowded rustic-y barn full of jams, no straw bale maze. That's right kids- you're here to WORK for your apples.

But first, an out-of-the-norm-breakfast of homemade cider donuts.





























A whole fridge shelf full of Haralsons for us. Honeycrisps are for wimps. Crunchy tangy Haralsons are my fave (and they make the BEST applesauce).

Come Sunday afternoon, in addition to watching the Vikings fail to show up at the game, I dug out my garden tomatoes for a marinara partaaaaaay. You can see I'm not one to plant just one variety of tiny tomatoes- I have cherry, grape, gold, and chocolate all mixed in there.


Have you ever canned your own marinara? Canning sounds super scary because of the whole if-done-improperly-you-could-die thing, but why let that scare you?

Spit out that second round of teeny mouth barf. 

To ease your mind about the whole thing, here are some helpful recipes/websites/tutorials:




Confession- I don't blanch my tomatoes. I just cook them with basil, roasted garlic, parsley, red wine, salt, pepper, and a wee bit of sugar. I then use my immersion blender to puree, and simmer until it's thick enough. I don't mind seeds in my sauce!


My four bags of frozen 'matos yielded 6 quarts of sauce. So...who wants some Haralsons with a side of marinara?




No comments:

Post a Comment