Saturday, August 4, 2018

How does your garden grow?

I swear I intend to keep a neat, tidy, minimally weedy garden.


*Sigh*.

One of these decades maybe.

It's not all bad though- even though it's wild and unkempt, we're hauling in tons of sugar snap peas, basil, lettuce, and soon enough tomatoes.


Toad!



I was gifted a bunch of cucumbers from my friend Karen. What does one do with six cups worth of cucumber?

Make refrigerator pickles! So so so easy. As a dietitian I'm always reminding patients that pickles totally count as vegetables. By making your own, you're able to control how much sugar and salt is added too. I like this recipe because it keeps it low cal while packing lots of flavor.



He put a chip clip on his nose and called it his "anti stink device" while peeling the red onion. I die. 


I like to just buy the inexpensive McCormick Pickling Spice Mix instead of using the spices/herbs separately, as in the recipe.

I make a separate jar with added crushed red pepper for my husband- spicy pickles.


If you're looking for a simple way to transform cucumbers into a healthy flavorful snack, try refrigerator pickles. Just don't forget to grab your anti-stink device.

1 comment: