Monday, April 10, 2017

AZ IF I didn't have a good time

Ohhhhhh vacaaaaaaaation.











I’ll drum up zero sympathy here, but my time spent in Phoenix last week flew by way. Too. Stinking. Fast.



My bestie and I went down to her parents’ condo to spend some days in the sun.



I’m not so secretly obsessed with citrus, and there were lemon, orange, and grapefruit trees EVERYWHERE. It was heaven.






Seriously- best way to start your morning. Early morning jog with the sunrise, then veggie-packed egg bake, tea, and said citrus on the back patio.



We hiked on Camelback Mountain too. Desert temperatures + hiking are no joke.




Hit up Backyard Taco in Mesa, where we’d both been before. These make Taco Bell’s stuff look- and taste- like shoe bottom scrapings.



We did grocery shopping our first morning and bought salad ingredients, plus some boneless chicken to grill. Mmm…patio salad.



Our second night’s dinner was Red White and Brew. Everyone we came across in Mesa raved about it and it did not disappoint. My M.O. for restaurant eating is to generally order high protein with a side of veggies, in this case a turkey burger (minus that top bun) and broccoli.



We drove out to San Tan Flat for our last dinner. This place is so fun- the majority of the seating is outdoors. There’s live music, and at night they light firepits. You can buy s’mores kits and roast marshmallows. It was a great place to just hang out.




I packed a few citrus fruits in my suitcase to bring home. I definitely had my fill of fresh grapefruit while down there and it got me thinking- I love quick breads (pumpkin, zucchini, blueberry, lemon, etc), and I’ve never come across grapefruit bread. Would it be gross? Or would it be awesome? I HAD TO FIND OUT.



Turns out it is AWESOME. I’m calling this pound cake because much like the blueberry almond pound cake recipe I posted a few weeks ago, this one uses Greek yogurt to add density and texture without jacking up the fat content.

Pink Grapefruit Pound Cake
¼ cup olive oil
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grapefruit zest (just run a microplane or fine grater on the skin of the grapefruit)
1 egg
1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
½ cup fresh squeezed pink grapefruit juice
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons raw sugar crystals (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a stand mixer combine olive oil, sugar, and grapefruit zest on medium. Add egg. Add yogurt, and while mixer is on, pour in grapefruit juice. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. With mixer running, add flour mixture. I also chose to add literally 1 drop of pink food coloring.

Coat a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. Pour batter in pan and top with sugar. Bake for ~45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.

Refrigerate. Cake tastes better the next day. Makes 10 slices. Per slice: 178 calories, 33 g carbs, 6 g fat, 5 g protein




It’s dense. It’s moist (get over that word already). It’s pretty.

I think we might need to get a return trip in the works. Those lemons and oranges and grapefruits aren’t going to pick themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment