Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Eve Morning

'Twas the morning before Christmas and all through the house...

...I was up of course because I have kids.


Back in the day I'd be more motivated to come up with some rhymes.

But now I ain't got no time...s.....

Mac's into this groove now where he always wants to have a muffin en route to daycare. I tend to bake every now and then and package it up for the freezer. Last night it was finally time to make a new batch.



This past summer I did my usual wild blackberry picking and still had some leftover in the freezer. I found a recipe for blueberry muffins and tweaked it (less added fat, less added sugar, STILL ALL THE FUN). 

Wildberry Muffins
4 oz unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
2/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups white whole grain flour (can sub all purpose flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk (I used almond but cow's milk would be fine)
2 cups berries- could use blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or other fruit too

Combine applesauce, oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. I used my Kitchen Aid but you could mix by hand. Beat until eggs are fully incorporated. In a separate small bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups of the flour and baking powder. Add half the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Stir to barely combine- add half the milk, then repeat. Stir the remaining half cup flour into the berries- coating them in a bit of flour prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the muffin. Sir in the berries to the batter. Spoon into muffin cups, filling 2/3rds full. Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.

Most muffin recipes call for some salt to counteract the sweetness of all the sugar. Since these are lower sugar to begin with, I omitted it. You also aren't going to miss the stick of butter that the original recipe calls for since it's so packed with flavorful berries.







Per muffin: 157 calories. Perfect for a Christmas Eve morning breakfast...or for the freezer for later. 




No comments:

Post a Comment