Wednesday, July 22, 2015

When a close second will do

You would think that a 15 month old really wouldn’t have much on his agenda. Eat? Sleep? Poop? Ok yeah all those are essentials, but we have got one busy boy on our hands. Lately he’s all about his tools, particularly his wrench. Specifically his Phillips wrench. He gets busy fixing things like…


…the carpet...


…his Audi


…the dog.


I feel like I’ve been super busy too. So busy that I keep forgetting to stop by the store and pick up my fave peanut butter. Remember how just the other week I was all like “oh all it has is peanuts in the ingredients list and it’s magical and delicious and cures anything that could possibly be wrong with you!” No?

So I have dang peanuts at home, why not just make my own peanut butter?

AND- I also have some dang almonds- so why not combine the two to make a hybrid?

Homemade Nut Butter
-2 cups raw unsalted nuts (I used 1 cup peanuts and 1 cup almonds)
-1/3 cup oil (I used olive)
-Pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts out on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Stir around and put ‘em back in for a few minutes. You want them to get a bit browned and fragrant. Let the nuts cool. Working in batches, combine nuts with oil in a food processor. I found that I had to do a half cup of nuts and a few teaspoons of oil at a time (my food processor is on the small side). When finished, stir in salt. Scrape butter in a sealable container and keep refrigerated. This will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge, and I found that the oil doesn’t separate, which is cool.





 Does it taste as good as my Smuckers? No. But it's still pretty tasty, and easy. Ya know- good for more time to be spent being busy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment