Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Oh my, oh my...

...happy fourth-of-July. In spite of me wanting to wring the necks of everyone on our block who thought it was cool be setting off fireworks at 10:30, it was a great weekend.

WHAT. 10:30 is super late for me now.

We spent part of Saturday and all day Sunday boating and beaching with friends and family. I might have gotten a 7th degree sunburn on my entire back. Spray sunscreen is such a tease. It’s all like “oh just use me- I’m soooo easy! I’ll do a decent job protecting you” and then no, every time I get a horrible sunburn.




Raided my dad’s garden for some pea pods and lettuce and onions.





Busy weekend means that mama don’t feel like cooking much. Slow cooker chicken tacos to the rescue. This is a recipe that I’ve probably posted before, but it’s something I haven’t made in awhile, so why not repeat.

-1 package boneless skinless chicken breasts (~1-1.5 lbs)
-2 large (10+ oz) jars of your favorite salsa. I used basic medium spicy tomato salsa
-1/4 teaspoon chili powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon pepper
-1/4 teaspoon minced garlic

Place chicken in the bottom of a slow cooker. Add seasonings on top of chicken. Pour salsa over chicken. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Shred when ready to serve. This makes enough shredded chicken for about 8 good-size tacos.

I chose to serve fresh corn, chopped (garden) onion, chopped (garden) cilantro, and chopped (garden) lettuce, along with crumbled queso fresco cheese. Feel free to add whatever salsas or toppings you like.




You could easily use this meat for quesadillas, enchiladas, sandwiches- so many possibilities. This meat freezes & thaws really well too.

No comments:

Post a Comment