Thursday, October 2, 2014

So this happened...

Mac has been a pretty easy baby.  I think.  I have no basis for comparison I guess. But I haven’t had many moments where I’ve felt like a "Teen Mom" level of incompetent.  

Thennnnnnn yesterday afternoon happened. And as a giant preface, I chalk this up to the first-time-mom-learning-curve, which is totally a thing.

There we were, a shop-shop-shoppin’ away. Mac started fussing, which is not like him because he loves shopping, which I’ve bragged about before. Weh-hell-hell. Looked at his pants, and it was pretty obvious why he was in a wee bit o’ discomfort. Problem was, I immediately realized I didn’t have spare pants in the diaper bag.

No biggie, I reasoned. I could just tuck a blanket around his bottom half, continue onto the grocery store, and no one would notice.

Got all set up for the oh-so-classy tailgate butt wiping sesh, took off those swampy pants, and quickly realized the situation was worse than I originally thought. Plus I learned I only had six wipes.
Let me tell you- mathematicians should study how I managed to pull off that delicate wipe-here, tuck-there, fold-here, wipe-there large surface area job.

Anyway. I draw the line at having a naked diapered baby in public, plus it was chilly out, so I considered bailing on the groceries and just going home. But then I realized- TA DA! I did have a back up outfit! Sort of.

A solid two months ago I bought cute PJs for a friend who’d had a baby girl (I’m a pretty solid friend for hanging onto a gift that long). Clothes are clothes, and Mac was just happy to be clean and dry.
Is it weird that I enjoyed pretending he was a girl, if just for the 20 minutes at the grocery store? People agreed- “what a precious baby girl you have!”

Why thank you.

In the spirit of learning the hard way and vowing to make things easier in the future, here is a 4-ingredient recipe. This comes together in less than 30 minutes, oh and hey it’s pretty good for you. 

Spicy Peanut Noodles with Bok Choy
  • 1 package brown rice noodles
  • 1 head of bok choy, rinsed and roughly chopped (discard the thickest bottom 4 or so inches)
  • 1 package extra firm tofu, pressed to remove excess moisture and cut into ½ inch cubes
  • 1 bottle spicy peanut sauce
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
1. Heat oil in a shallow skillet over medium high heat. Add tofu. Stir occasionally until it starts to slightly brown. Add your bok choy. Cover and turn heat to low.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large stockpot with water to boil. Add brown rice noodles and cook according to package directions. Add to bok choy/tofu mix.
3. Add peanut sauce, stir to evenly coat.

Protein, vitamins, fiber. What more could I want?

Besides a pack of extra wipes and pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment