Monday, October 13, 2014

As Seen On MY BLOG

Like most people, I’ve had my fair share of encounters with “As Seen on TV” products.

I remember being a kid when Suzanne Somers (Carol from "Step By Step" what??) started selling the THIGHMASTER. My mom bought one, and somehow it ended up in our toy box. We would do all sorts of fun things with it- mostly involving finagling it into a catapult. Eventually it got catapulted down to the Goodwill.




Then for a while I had the SOBAKAWA pillow, which was essentially a cloth sack filled with what felt like ten thousand popcorn kernels.


More recently I owned a George Foreman Grill. Every-single-girl-in-2006-had-one. In grad school my standard dinner was Foreman-grilled chicken and steamed veggies, and then a late night snack of raw cookie dough. 

Did you know that Bed Bath & Beyond has an entire section of “As Seen on TV” products? With one of their infinity 20% coupons I seem to get, any one of those things seems like an amazing opportunity to be on the cutting edge of specially-TV-advertised-technology.

Like the Veggetti.

So, back up.

A few weeks ago we went to a random farm/orchard/garden on the side of the highway. You could pick your own pickling cucumbers, broccoli, raspberries, tomatoes, apples and pumpkins. And zucchini.
Since I yanked out my garden zucchini plants mid-August, I decided to get some to try in my VEGGETTI. I grabbed some broccoli too, figuring I’d make a stir fry.




I am such a creepster.

Two zucchinis VEGGETTI-fied made a healthy amount of “noodles.” I sautéed them for just a few minutes along with chicken and other veggies. If you cook them too long, they get way too mushy.
The VEGGETTI came with a neat little recipe book too. Most of them look pretty decent. Other uses, besides zucchini, include carrots and potatoes. It was really easy to use, and it was also fun. That coming from the kid whose favorite toys included the Play-Doh Fun Factory.

There’s also the whole thing about 1 zucchini is only 33 calories, and the equivalent amount of pasta packs well over 300 calories.

Well now I am SOLD. This “As Seen on TV” stuff is just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment