Monday, February 3, 2014

Man Food

I'm not crazy into sports, but I do enjoy football.  I watch both the commercials and the game, thank-you-very-much.
Have you noticed how most of the foods that tend to be promoted as going hand-in-hand with sports are terribly unhealthy?  I see all sorts of variations of chicken wings, er, wingz, in the store, along with cheese dips, chips, and of course beer.

I decided to make something I've never made before- or really ever eaten myself- to possibly go along with the big game.  It falls squarely into the category of MAN FOOD: jalapeno poppers.

They turned out super tasty, although I might have had a fistful of Tums today.  I. Am. Old.

Baked Jalapeno Poppers
24 wonton wrappers
2 8 ounce blocks Neufchatel cream cheese, room temperature
1 small can chopped jalapenos, rinsed and drained (in the pic I show two cans, but one was plenty)
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 tablespoon water

Super easy ingredients!


Either by hand or by electric mixer, whip up cream cheese until fluffy.  Add garlic.  Stir in jalapenos until evenly mixed.  Then go preheat your oven to 375 degrees. 

Put a nice blob of cream cheese mixture on the lower half of your wrapper.  Fold over.  Whisk together corn starch and water to form a paste.  Dip your finger in the paste to help seal the edges together.  
Spray with olive oil spray before baking. Bake 10 minutes then flip.  Bake another 5-10 minutes or until nicely browned.  


Per popper: 62 calories

Better luck next year Peyton.  

No comments:

Post a Comment