Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Cheap Eats

What is the deal?  I continue to be on a cheesy jalapeno kick.  This time we're making things sandwich-style.
Sidenote: As I type this, my husband is downstairs watching "The Bachelor."  I can only take so much of the whole "This place is amaaaaazing!/I really feel like I'm falling for you/Will you accept this rose?" business.

Yeah, I'd much rather share this recipe for tasty sandwiches.

Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chicken Sandwiches
2 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, fat trimmed
2 10-oz cans diced tomatoes with chilis
2 diced jalapenos
12 oz reduced fat cream cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
8 white whole wheat buns
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Coat your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.  Add chicken; pour canned tomatoes (with juice) over the chicken.  Add jalapenos, garlic, onion powder, and pepper.  Cook on low for 7-8 hours.  Shred chicken with a fork.




Add cream cheese and let it melt.  Stir until evenly distributed.

Heat up a grill pan over medium high heat.  Toast each bun half for 30-60 seconds, until slightly charred.  Add cheesy chicken filling.  Add cheddar cheese and additional jalapenos, if desired.

Per sandwich: 450 calories, 25 g carbs, 23 g fat, 44 g protein

Spicy enough that Juan Pablo would approve.  


No comments:

Post a Comment