Monday, November 25, 2013

Holllllllliday Tiiiiiiiime

It's officially ok for me to be posting holiday recipes.

I mean, if Christmas tunes are on the radio, it's fair game, right?

Plus I bought the following at the grocery store this past weekend:

Piney soap and snowman print baggies.  Sweet.

I also picked up a pomegranate at the store. 

Why?

(No, that's not a rhetorical question- seriously- why did I buy a pomegranate??  I have no clue how to eat it or prepare it).

I decided to try making a cranberry sauce with pomegranate.  It was...an experience. 

Superfruit Sauce
1 bag cranberries, rinsed
1 pomegranate, seeded
2-3 small apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup blueberries, rinsed
1/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup water

1. Okay, so first things first.  How the heck do you seed a pomegranate?  Maybe this is something that Pinterest people have nailed, but once I sliced into this thing, I was clueless. 


I first tried scraping out the seeds with a regular spoon.  That did nothing but create a juicy mess.  Not effective.  Then I realized if you peel back the sides, you can easily expose the whole seed and gently peel it off with your fingers. 

The inside skin is kind of like a honeycomb with the seeds stuck inside.  At the risk of sounding super lame/way too easily amused, once I got the hang of it, it was kind of fun to peel off the seeds.
All in all it took less than 10 minutes to seed the whole thing.

Onto the recipe...
2. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a low boil, stirring regularly.  As cranberries begin to burst, the sauce will thicken.
3. Once all the cranberries have burst and the mixture is struggling to bubble through the thick sauce, remove from heat and let cool completely.
4. Refrigerate overnight.





I called this "Superfruit Sauce" because it sounds cool this is loaded with antioxidants, thanks to the cranberries, blueberries, and pomegranates.  You could use any combination of fruits for this, but being Thanksgiving week, cranberries seemed appropriate.

Try out this sauce this year.  Skip the canned junk.  The pomegranate seeds give it a little crunch, so it's definitely a different texture, but it's a tangy/sweet combo that just tastes really good.

Now to crank up the Christmas tunes for the drive home from work...

No comments:

Post a Comment