Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cheater Chicken

In just the past few weeks I've ended up buying a few rotisserie chickens for various recipes that call for shredded chicken.  Sure I know how to roast a chicken, but it's messy, takes time, and you end up with a nasty carcass.

I had an idea (idea = rip-off of a recipe my sister-in-law makes) involving the slow cooker.  Why not make my own shredded chicken and freeze it for future use?

Cheater Chicken
2 packages (about 3 lbs) boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat bits trimmed
48 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon pepper

Place all the ingredients in a large slow cooker.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until internal temp of chicken registers at least 165 degrees.


Place chicken breasts in a large bowl, along with about 1 cup of the broth, and use two forks to shred it into smaller bits.

Put shredded chicken in individual baggies and freeze for future use.  *Hint- to thaw, just pop the frozen baggie in a sink full of hot water.

Su-per ea-sy.  I am feeling good today knowing that I could easily make some chicken chili, chicken tacos, chicken pot pie, barbecue chicken sandwiches, or anything that involves shredded chicken.  Sorry Cub deli, but I will not be missing you.

Another thing that has me feeling happy today?
Super glittery gold nails.  Not exactly work appropriate, but great for a Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment